Thursday, March 31, 2011

Memory Thinking

This is my second card today I wanted to at least get one more entry for a couple of the challenges that are ending today; the Spotted Canary Spring Challenge at SCS, and the Green Challenge at Spotted Canary. I used the sketch from CPS #211 if it is still running I will enter it there. It may be like the one I did this morning for Stamping 411, when I went to post it, the challenge was closed. I’ll get back into the swing of things sooner or later……as soon as I do, I’ll have to go back to my non-stamping land, then start all over again.

For this card, I wanted to try something different, so I went to the technique page at SCS and jotted down a couple different ones by just randomly selecting them. One of the selections was Joseph’s coat…..I went upstairs to my craft room, got everything together to do this technique earlier this morning, brayered the colors onto the paper, and I’m still waiting for the ink to dry, I have made two cards since putting the ink to paper. My second selection and the technique for this card was Pastel Embossing. I had never done this before and it was really easy. I’ve had the blender pens a while now and never bothered to use them. I chose the SU set Close as a Memory for the main image. I’m still in a Use It Tuesday mode using stamps I’ve never used before. You need a solid image stamp, and that is the first one I ran across, and I had never used it before. I needed a dark color cardstock, and since I was making spring cards I went with a dark purple. I stamped the image with Versamark, sprinkled detail white ep, and embossed the image with my heat gun. Then I pulled out my SU chalk set and a blender pen and proceeded to color the white ep. I gave the yellow flowers a two-tone look by adding some red chalk around the edges. After coloring you are supposed to spray a Matte finish clear sealer on it to keep the chalk in place……I didn’t feel like going from upstairs all the way to the basement to see if I had any, so I spritzed hairspray on it. I then decided on what Nesties I wanted to use, the ovals won out, so it was cut and embossed with a Nestie oval, I ran a white gel pen around the inside of the die before removing……no more SoufflĂ©’ pens for this after yesterdays mess that you can read about in my Mice Birthday post. I had to pick out some dp, so I went with a piece from a DCWV Flower Shower Spring stack, the yellow flowers are similar to stamped flowers. Then I decided to use green cardstock for the layers, the scalloped oval and the layer behind the dp. The base card is the same dark purple that the image is stamped on. The sketch is actually not this detailed, I just got went with the flow. A ticket punch was used on the dp corners, a corner rounder punch on the green layer behind the dp. I thought the MS flower border punch would look good, was trying to decide on what color to punch, when a light bulb lit up in my pea brain…….punch white, color with chalk & blender pen to match image. That same light bulb lit up again when it came to the sentiment, since I was working with a small space I again chose the SU set Teeny Tiny Wishes, I really wanted to stamp on the green, but I don’t like that paper…love the color though…..I guess you would say the paper is textured and I don’t find stamping results too good, mainly I use that paper for layering, so I went with purple, stamped the  sentiment with Versamark, embossed with detail white, colored it with the chalk and blender pen. I have started using some glue to put the cards together, since money is really tight and my ATG tape is getting low. I hate gluing the layers, it takes forever to dry, and usually looks like it would fall apart if touched, even though I stack heavy stuff on top of the card when gluing. My brilliant idea today after getting the card all together and wanting to add some bling and half pearls, but the glue wasn’t drying fast enough, was to heat up an iron, I knew it would melt the embossing if I held it on too long, I had a piece of scrap paper on the front and back was running the iron on the back, which may have worked, but nooooo I had to turn the card over and iron the front. Somebody should have been standing over me saying Don’t try this at home!! I ironed the embossing from the main image and the sentiment onto my scrap piece of paper and had to redo both purple pieces. Luckily the stupid glue wasn’t even dry and I was able to remove the main image. I redid both purple pieces, I just added the sentiment over top the old one. Then continued on my merry way to add the red flower centers (MFT adornments), the green half pearls on the corners and one lighter half pearl on the sentiment (Basic Grey).
Thanks for stopping by, I’d love to hear your comments.


Comments brighten my day.