Monday, May 2, 2011

Ballet Resist

Here is a card for Challenge #6 at Use It Tuesday, to use brads, eyelets, grommets, buttons, etc..

When I found out what the challenge was, I thought of this stamp I bought years ago and have never used. I don’t know the company name, but the label says Ballet Dancing Doll 2003 limited edition, RS. I think I picked it up at A.C. Moore, but I’m not positive.

Anyway, what made me think of this stamp is the movable arms & legs. The card doesn’t really look that great to me, I think I rushed through it too fast, trying too many different things at once, but I am pleased with parts of it.

I stamped the ballerina on white cardstock several times trying different things that didn’t work. Finally settling on onyx black Versafine. The skin and the blue parts were done with Prismacolored pencils & goo gone. For all of the yellow, green leaves, lips & fingernails, I used SU markers. While coloring the flowers in her hair, I thought of something I saw on the blog of Kittie Caracciolo. Of course I had to try it, I colored some scrap paper with the SU marker, then punched out holes with a 1/4” and 1/8” hole punch, glued the smaller hole in the center of the larger hole, and placed them on a mouse pad and pressed down with a dry embossing tool, then glued them in place over the stamped flowers. A dot of yellow stickles was added afterwards. For the smaller flowers, I grabbed my Crop-A-Dial and punched some more pieces.

You would think the leg and arm on the right side of the stamp would go on the right and the same for the left side, well let me tell you, I have had these arms and legs off and on so many times, it’s a wonder I didn’t have to stamp them over, trying to figure out how they were supposed to be. The arms are attached with yellow brads, the legs with blue brads.

Can you tell I know absolutely nothing about ballet??

The yellow background is another something new (to me) I tried, Cuttlebug wax paper resist. Gina K has a video over at Stamp TV. Along with a sewing machine, my next item I avoid using is an iron. If I can’t wash & wear, I don’t buy, I learned that lesson a long time ago…..after melting something I was trying to iron. Anyway, I cut a piece of wax paper the size of a Cuttlebug folder, (Divine Swirls), ran it through the Cuttlebug, then placed it between two pieces of white cardstock, and ironed, next I sponged rusty hinge Distress Ink over it and wiped with a paper towel.

Having made it this far, I was at a loss at how to finish it, so I just winged it, I punched the left and right edges of the yellow with a MS punch around the page border punch (swirling lace).  added a layer of white, using the same border punch, then sponged the edges with stormy sky Distress Ink. Next I have just a plain layer of black with a white base card. Next I added a punched black strip across the top. I didn’t think the four brads holding the body parts together was sufficient, so I cut another strip of black, and used the corner punch to the punch around the page set to make a tag, grabbed the Rubbernecker sentiment Flaunt It Text, stamped with Versamark, and embossed with detail white ep, added an orange mini brad to each side. Then using the Crop-A-Dial punched three holes for eyelets and added three orange eyelets.

The arms and legs are moveable, but can’t really show that in a picture, so here is another picture with them in a different position.

Thanks for stopping by, and I love reading your comments.


  1. Judy...your card is lovely! I was laughing so hard reading this post...thank you! Too funny.

  2. You are too critical of yourself! It looks like she is on a stage! You did such a great job with her! I love it! And glad you see you back! ;) Would not be the same without you playing!

  3. Beautiful card! That ballerina is awesome!
    SP and Company Stamps


Comments brighten my day.