Friday, May 6, 2011

Wagon Boy

For today’s card I combined two challenges, Crafty Secrets over at SCS to watercolor and Use It Tuesday challenge #6 to add fasteners.

I won this stamp set from the generous Sandy Redburn, owner of Crafty Secrets, by leaving a comment at a blog hop. I used a couple of the other stamps in the set for challenge #5 at Use It Tuesday (Kite Boy), so I figured I try another card for the #6 challenge using four more unused stamps. The images aren’t actually water colored, I used an Alcohol Ink Refillable Pen on glossy paper which is supposed to give a water colored look. I tried this technique the other night, using an alcohol pen filled with plain old isopropyl alcohol 91%, I started with that pen tonight, but wound up filling another with the blending solution, to see if there was a difference, and yes there is. When applying the ink with plain alcohol, you can not go back and blend, whatever color you have on the paper that dries, stays that way, no matter how much you try and change it, but the blending solution will.

I stamped the four images from the Crafty Secrets set Little Boy with Versamark on glossy paper, applied detail black ep and heat embossed. The little boy was colored first using the alcohol filled pen. After I finished coloring him with the pen and the dried alcohol inks that I had in my palettes, Just for kicks and giggles, I gave the boy two different colored socks, I could just picture a little boy getting dressed and grabbing socks that didn’t match, my husband does it all the time, but at least they are white. It must be a guy thing, like using a remote control. Both of the little boys socks are in the brown range, but one is more a rust color, the card holder just about blocked it when I was taking pictures.I decided to try a pen with blending solution and colored the wagon next, then the dog, poor thing it must be a mutt, next was the frog. I went back over the boy with the blending solution pen and found out it would not change what I had already done, so I added some more ink.

For the background I cut a piece of white cardstock to size, then added dots of Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue, smeared with my finger, and let it dry. Next I sponged an assortment of Distress Inks, tumbled glass, broken china, stormy sky & wild honey (for the sun) over the white, and came up with a really weird color sky. I spritzed a little water on a paper towel and wiped the ink off of the clouds. A MS grass border punch was used for the three layers of grass, the front two rows were sponged with peeled paint Distress Ink. I grabbed a large button and used an Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabber Sunshine Yellow and painted the button, then sprinkled some glitter on it (Making Memories Scrapbook Shimmer school bus) and let it dry. The button is attached to the card with a piece of yellow ribbon. The wagon was put in place and two black buttons sewn on for wheels, next the little boy was put into place, the top half of his body has foam dots attaching him. The puppy was stuck on top of the wagon and there are foam dots behind his head. I didn’t really know where to put the frog, and I already had it cut out, so I just stuck it in the grass. The dp is from a DCWV All About Boys stack, cut to size and the corners were punched with a corner punch that I don’t know the name of, layered on a bright green with an orange base card.

Thanks for stopping by, and I love reading your comments.
Happy Stamping!


  1. Ack! I love your button sunshine! What an amazing job! And that paper could not be more perfect!!

    Thanks for playing (again) with us at Use It Tuesday!

  2. What an adorable image!!
    SP and Company Stamps


Comments brighten my day.