Sunday, February 13, 2011

Alcohol Faux Bleach

I was reading a tutorial by Sherry Cheever over at SCS today on alcohol faux bleach, I also watched the video. I picked out colors I thought would match the color challenge at Stamp TV for this week, to try it out. Seems like I can’t go make a card anymore without using a color challenge or sketch challenge, whether it’s past or present, but for me that is better, as I used to case a lot of work, now it’s my own ideas making the sketches and color challenges work.

For today’s card I chose the flowers (again) in the GKD set Purrr-fectly Delightful by Theresa Momber. For this technique you are supposed to use glossy cardstock, stamp an image and emboss with clear ep. Dab your alcohol inks all over the paper and blend, the embossed image will be covered with color. Then you put a paper towel down to keep the paper from moving around, lay another piece of cardstock over top of the embossed glossy, use a craft iron on top (Sherry used a craft iron set on high, my craft iron doesn’t have any settings so I didn’t know if it would even work), the embossing comes off onto the blank cardstock, so that you have two images  (one with the alcohol inks and a plain one with the colored embossed image. I like to hoard my glossy cardstock, so I tried it out on some cheap photo paper I picked up at the Dollar Tree. First I cut the cheap photo paper and the extra piece of white paper the same size, I figured it would make it easier to work with. I stamped with versamark and embossed with detail clear ep. This works as long as you do not overheat it. You can tell when it starts overheating, as bubbles in the paper start appearing, so I quickly removed the heat gun, and the bubbles disappeared. I used caramel, butterscotch, denim and stonewashed alcohol inks, and the alcohol blending solution, applied with the alcohol ink applicator and felt to make the background colors. Then I laid the inked up image on a paper towel face up, and placed my other piece of white paper over top of the inked up paper. For this paper I did not use my good white cardstock either, I used some other paper that I don’t mind wasting, plus it isn’t as thick as the regular cardstock, I thought the iron might work better. I placed the iron on top of the two layers and ironed until the embossed image attached itself to the plain white paper. The image on the card is the cheap photo paper with alcohol inks, I threw my plain white piece in the trash, the embossed image was on it like it was supposed to be, but I also had some color spots on it too. The paper I was using, had a very slight gloss to it, and that may be what the problem was. I layered the alcohol inked up paper on white, then blue. I then poked holes right at the edge of the vase on both side and ran a piece of yellow hemp twine through. I cut a little tag out with a cuttlebug tiny tag die and stamped feel better on it in versamark, embossed with detail white ep, placed a yellow eyelet in the hole, and ran the twine through it and tied a bow, but decided I didn’t like it, so I left the card with no sentiment, and just tied the bow. Next it was added to the yellowish colored base card. Thanks for stopping by and I’d love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments brighten my day.