Sunday, February 27, 2011

DH's Birthday 2011

My DH’s birthday is coming up fast and I didn’t want to wait until the last minute to make him a card. For the past couple of years I have made cards with deer on them, so I switched off this year. I think I'll enter this one over at Party Time Tuesday's also.


He recently built this corner entertainment center for our living room.


  He sat down, figured out what he wanted to do and built it with no plans (other than his own). Our log cabin kit came with a mantle for a fireplace. I don’t know why since we don’t have a fireplace. But the mantle, a hand hewn log, like the rest of the house, laid down in the basement since the roof was put on, so it would be out of the weather. He cut the mantle for the top, it steps up to the corner, that way you can better see all the junk I have on top of it (birdhouses, pictures, candles, knick knacks). Then he bought the lumber to finish the rest of it. The picture has been brightened considerably, so you can see more of the detail. I took the picture right after he finished it and it was loaded down, it was very hard to take a picture of since there are windows on both sides of it. If he wasn’t in there right now, I’d turn all the lights on and try another, but then he would wonder what I was doing.

So for this card I decided to use the SU set Totally Tool. I don’t know if I cased anyone on this idea. I remember seeing pics of tool belts, but not sure about the pegboard. Anyway, as this idea was forming in my head, I stamped the the wrench’s first with versamark on white cardstock, embossed with detail silver ep, colored with prismacolored pencils. Next I stamped the saw, the screwdrivers and the hammer the same way, but I used detail black ep, colored with prismacolored pencils and then cut all of them out. For the pegboard, I had to decide what size I wanted to use, ran that through a Cuttlebug folder Swiss Dots, turned the piece over, so that the dots were away from me and pierced each and every hole with a paper piercing tool, then I decided that the paper should have been heavier for mounting the tools, so I cut a piece of cardboard, attached the brown pegboard piece to it, and had to pierce each and every one of those holes again. I was working my brain on overdrive, trying to figure out what I could use, that would look like those hooks for pegboard, and I came up with wire. The hammer, screwdrivers, and saw have wire to hold them on. For the wrenches I used brads. I had decided to use the Tim Holtz Bricked ef to represent the basement wall, and since pegboard doesn’t work up against a wall, I also used the Tim Holtz Woodgrain ef to make boards up the side, and sponged some walnut stain on them. The pegboard is attached to the boards with silver mini brads. The sentiment isn’t a birthday sentiment, but I can do that inside, thought he’d get a kick out of this one. As an afterthought, I stamped the measuring tape and colored the same as the rest of the tools.

This is his 2010 birthday card.

This is his 2009 birthday card, I cased this one.

Thanks for stopping by, and I’d love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments brighten my day.